Never lose your phone cord in your bag again with this handy DIY tassel keychain charger! Perfect if you’re on the go or just want a cute but useful accessory!
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page but the price is the same for you!
We’ve all been there. Your phone is almost out of battery and you’re rooting around in your bag for the charging cord only to realize that after finding a pack of goldfish, tons of change and a half eaten lolipop that it is no where to be found. Okay, so this scenario may only play out if you’re either A. a mom, B. a broke college kid who saves EVERYTHING or C. a nanny but you get the picture. I will be the first to admit that I lose those cords on a daily basis and those suckers are not cheap! So when Erin and Veena asked me to solve a problem I was on this one like sprinkles on unicorns!
But seriously folks, wouldn’t it be easier if your cord was just connected to your bag? I mean, you take it everywhere anyway! So I created a fun DIY Charging Tassel to meet all of your cord finding needs. And if you’re ever in need of the actual power bank, head over to DoItYourFreakingSelf.com and learn how to make the matching powerbank so you’ll NEVER be out of juice again!
DIY Tassel Keychain Charger
Lightning or Mini-USB charging cable
6×9″ piece of leather or leatherette (also found in the upholstery section of the fabric store)
Rotary cutter (or scissors)
1. Start by cutting an 6 inch by 9 inch piece of leatherette. From that, cut off a 1/4 inch strip from the long edge then cut that strip in half.
2. Wrap the charging cable around 2-3 fingers a few times until it is all wound up with both ends pointing the same direction. Thread the strip you just cut through the loop of the cable and staple closed as close to the cord as possible with about 1/4 inch overlap in the center leather.
3. Attach the keychain finding the same way and staple the leather overlap in the center. Cut off the excess leatherette.
4. Lay out the rest of your leatherette and cut the fringe. I used a ruler and a rotary cutter but scissors work just as great. You’re going to cut 1/8 inch strips leaving a 1/2 inch section at the top uncut.
5. Here’s where it gets fun. You’re going to start to very slowly wrap the fringe around the keychain from step 3. Apply a line of hot glue and very slowly place it on the connection between the cord and the keychain. From here continue to add glue as you wrap the fringe around itself.
6. Using the extra piece of leatherette from step 1, wrap it around the top of the tassel to finish off the piece. Trim off any glue whisps and you’re ready to rock!
Want to make a matching powerbank to go with your charging tassel? Head over to DoItYourFreakingSelf.com and get the full tutorial so you’ll never run out of power!