- Empty toilet paper rolls
- Paper plates
- 9” balloons
- Empty toilet paper tubes
- Scissors and fringe scissors
- Packing tape
- Pattered paper for decorating
- Metallic tissue paper for confetti
Directions for Toilet Roll Fireworks
Start by cutting a toilet paper roll into 2′′ long fringes. Open up the fringe so that it sits flat against the table, and place the roll on to a paper plate that has been covered in a layer of tempera or acrylic paint. For our fireworks we used four rolls/plates – red, white, blue, and a glittery mix of all three colors. Just take the roll, dip the fringe in paint, and stamp it on to your paper.
Directions for Toilet Roll Confetti Poppers
1) Knot the balloon, and cut off the tip. Stretch the balloon tightly around the toilet paper tube, and secure in place with a strip of packing tape. Use patterned paper, stickers, markers, glitter, etc. to decorate the tubes. For these tubes, we simply wrapped them with scrapbook paper, secured the paper with tape, and added a few star sticker embellishments.
2) Fringe scissors can quickly turn metallic tissue paper into shiny metallic confetti. You’ll want to make at least 3 tablespoons of confetti for each tube. Add the confetti to the tube – use a funnel or a rolled piece of paper to help guide the confetti into the tube if necessary.
3) To launch the confetti, pull down on the bottom knot of the balloon, and let go! The confetti with shoot high up into the air with a loud “Pop!”